Tuesday 10 March 2015

Homemade Gluten Free, Soya Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free, Egg Free Wraps

I am fed up of paying around £3-4 for 4 GF wraps.  I usually buy the Warburtons wraps, which while lovely, are too expensive, and on top of that the last 3 or 4 times I've ordered them from Tesco, they've not been delivered as they've been out of stock.  So I decided to make my own.

I've just made 7, and they look alright, they're not perfectly round, or square, but they're lovely and rustic looking, and they taste good.

I initially started off using the Dove farm recipe, but it said it should 'resemble a smooth pancake batter' and mine looked like sticky breadcrumbs, so I don't know what happened there.  I did double their recipe, but that shouldn't have made a difference.  A quick look on the Coeliacs Facebook page and I found that people have been making wraps with equal quantities of flour and hot water, I'd used hot water for mine anyway, but as I had no way of knowing what volume of flour I had used, as I'd weighed it for the original recipe, I just added water until it formed a dough.  Then rolled pieces of the dough to make rough circles and dry fried them in a frying pan.  Here's a good tip, open all of your outside windows and doors and close all of the inside doors from your kitchen as it gets quite smoky!

So the recipe which worked for me was equal quantities, by volume of hot water and gluten free bread flour, the Facebook group say to mix in a saucepan, but as I had already started out making the batter mix, I was using a bowl and it worked fine. 

             Pour 1 cup of GF bread flour into a bowl, add 1 cup of hot water and stir into a dough, add 1 tablespoon of oil, which will help it form a ball and make the bowl easier to clean.



             On a floured surface (make sure it's GF flour) roll out individual little balls of dough, if you were being cleverer than me, you could divide you mix out first into equal balls, then roll them.





             Get a frying pan, or griddle pad hot, drop one of your rolled out wraps onto the pan, once it has bubbled up, which takes around 1 1/2 minutes, flip and cook the other side, this takes slightly less time than the first side.



            Hey presto, you have GF wraps!



I'm really hoping R enjoys them at dinner time with our chicken strips, peppers, cucumber, spring onions, celery (although not me!) and sour cream or mayonnaise.

I hope you enjoy them,

Lupin Girl x

No comments:

Post a Comment