Monday 16 March 2015

Homemade Gluten Free Burgers



For dinner our planner has us down for burgers. I decided to make the burgers myself and used the recipe from Davina's 5 Weeks to Sugar-Free I did increase the recipe slightly and I made 6 which had cheese in the middle. One of my best friends does this if we're having a BBQ and they are delicious.  

I also made some sweet potato burgers which were met with mixed reviews, L refused to try them at all, C wasn't feeling very well today and so didn't eat very much, but I think would like them if he was feeling ok.  B tried them very cautiously, but then declared them yummy, and R was the first to grab them and had eaten one before I even knew anyone had had one!

Here's how to make the sweet potato burgers:

Ingredients:

                 500g sweet potatoes (peeled)

                 140g gluten free breadcrumbs

                 1 grated carrot

                 25g mixed seeds

                 1 roasted pepper

Method:

              Roast your pepper (I cut mine in half and de-seeded it, then placed it on an oven tray and put it in the oven on gas 5 and left it in there until I had cooked and mashed my sweet potatoes)

                 Boil your sweet potatoes in small chunks, drain and mash.

                 Chop your pepper and add to your mash, along with the grated carrot and seeds, stir.

                Add half of your breadcrumbs and stir them in.

               Lightly blitz remaining breadcrumbs so they are fine, but not powder (this is used to coat your burgers) I skipped this step and we didn't have our burgers breaded as I didn't have enough GF bread to turn into breadcrumbs, well I did, but then R wouldn't have lunch tomorrow, so thought I'd better not!

              Shape your mix into burgers, I managed to get 10 out of mine.



             Cook on gas mark 7 for 20-30mins



Davina's burgers, and my twist with cheese:

Ingredients:

                  750g minced beef.

                  1 large onion and 1 small onion, finely chopped.

                  2 small garlic cloves, finely chopped.

                 1 egg

                 25ml milk

                1 teaspoon dried herbs

                100g gluten free breadcrumbs

                3 soft cheese triangles

Method to make 6 cheese burgers and 6 mini burgers:

               Fry your onion until soft, then add your garlic and fry for another minute or two.
            
               Put your mince into a large bowl, and add the onion and garlic to it.

               Add all of the other ingredients and mix with your hands.



               Place your mixture in the fridge for about half an hour to firm up.

               Line an oven tray with greaseproof paper.

               Take a piece of mince mixture about the size of the bottom of a tin and squash flatish. (I used my palm, but you'd have not idea how big that was lol)  Put half a cheese triangle onto the patty, then get a bit more mince put on top and completely enclose the cheese.

               Place onto the oven tray.

               Repeat until you have 6 burgers.



               Cook on gas mark 7 for 30 minutes.



              Next divide the remaining mixture into 6 mini burgers and place onto a separate tray if needed.

            Cook at gas mark 7 for 15-20 minutes.




The cheese burgers were by far the favourite of my gang, only L didn't like them as she didn't like the taste of the cheese in the middle.

I hope you and your family like them,

Lupin Girl x
                  

                


No comments:

Post a Comment