Saturday 7 March 2015

Gluten Free Rose Flavoured Flower Pot Cake

My Mother-In-Law has just retired and is having a family gathering over the weekend.  I wanted to make her a special cake for the occasion, and decided to make a flower pot cake.  I made one once before for a friend of my Mum's when she retired and it went down well, so I'm hoping she likes it.  Here's how I did it.

The cake recipe is from Cupcakes from the Primrose Bakery, a book I treated myself to literally weeks before I ended up going gluten free.  However most of the cakes I have managed to tweak so that they are delicious and gluten free :)

Ingredients:

                 110g Unsalted butter at room temperature.

                 250g golden caster sugar (I used ordinary caster sugar).

                 3 eggs, at room temperature.

                150g Gluten Free self-raising flour.

                125g Gluten Free plain flour.

                130ml semi-skimmed milk, at room temperature.

                1/2 teaspoon of Rosewater or to taste.

                1 teaspoon of Xanthan gum powder.


Method:

               Pre-heat your oven to gas mark 4/ 160C (fan) 180C/ 350F

               Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and smooth with an electric hand held mixer, this should take about 3-5 mins, then add the eggs, one at a time, mixing in between.

               Combine both of the flours and the Xanthan gum, add one third to the mixture, mix well

              Add the rosewater to the milk and taste, adjust accordingly and add a third to your mixture, beat well

              Continue doing this until you have used up all of your flour and milk mixtures

             Grease a new, or well cleaned flower pot, it will need to be a ceramic pot, not terracotta, and you will need to cut out a disc in stiff card, or metal to fit in the base as your flower pot will have a hole in to  allow for drainage, which obviously you do not want!

            Pour your batter into the flower pot and place in the middle of your pre-heated oven.

            Cook for 30-45 mins, check it is cooked by skewering in the middle



           Allow to cool for about 5 mins before turning out onto a cooling rack, it will need to be completely cool before you can decorate it.




Rose Buttercream Icing Ingredients:

           115g unsalted, softened butter.

           4 tablespoons of room temperature milk.

           1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

           500g icing sugar.

           1/2 teaspoon rosewater, or to taste.

            pink food colouring (optional).


Method:

            Beat the butter, milk, vanilla extract and half of the icing sugar until smooth using an electric mixer, this will take several minutes.

            Gradually add the remaining icing sugar, beating until your icing is smooth and creamy.

            Add the rosewater and beat through to ensure it is mixed, if using the food colouring (I did) add now as well.


Decorating:

You will need:

               Coloured icing, I have used blue, pink and yellow on this cake, last time I used terracotta, pink, yellow and green.  Be as traditional, or as creative as you like.

             Once your cake is cold, make sure it will stand up, mine was a bit top heavy and so I trimmed off one side at the top so it didn't fall over.  You still want a dome effect at the top so that your flowers have somewhere to sit.

           Cover your cake with a very thin layer of your rose buttercream.

           Roll out enough of the coloured icing which you are using for the pot colour.  I used blue on todays cake.  Trim to the correct height before you take it over to your cake, then wrap it around the cake, the buttercream icing will stick this icing to the cake, smooth the join with your fingers.  Next roll out a thinner piece of icing in the same colour and the same length so that you can wrap it around the top of the pot for the rim.

           Now make your flowers, I used cutters, but feel free to make your own.  I allowed my flowers to dry slightly before sticking to the butter-creamed dome, cover the dome in an array of flowers, and leaves if you wish.



          I decorated the flower pot with some coloured leaves and as I had some mixture left when baking I made 4 cupcakes which my son (8yrs) iced with the remaining buttercream and we put a flower on the top of each of those too.  I then use a few more cut out flowers to decorate the board, and used writing icing pens to add
 
Happy Retirement Mum x
 

 
I hope she likes it, please let me know if you make one of these, I would love to see pictures of your masterpieces,
 
 
Lupin Girl x

P.S Here's the one I made before

 


           

No comments:

Post a Comment