Wednesday 11 March 2015

Amazingly Easy Gluten Free Bread Adventure

Ok, I'm on a drive to try and save money, gluten free foods are so expensive. 

So I've already attempted gluten free pastry, much nicer than shop bought stuff in my opinion, and gluten free wraps, so yummy, and now I've made gluten free bread, without a machine!

No machine?  I hear you cry, yup.  I thought I was crazy too, but actually the recipe which comes on the back of the Doves Farm Gluten Free White bread flour blend works really well, and was easy too: 

http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/flour-and-ingredients/gluten-free-white-bread-flour-x-1kg/



This recipe makes a 1kg/2lb loaf and cooks in the oven on gas mark 7 (220C, 200CFan, 425F)

Ingredients:

                  450g Gluten Free White Bread Flour

                  1/2 teaspoon salt

                  2 teaspoons Quick Action Yeast (I used Allinson Easy Bake Yeast, if you buy this one, make sure you get the one which says for hand making)

                  2 tablespoons sugar

                  325ml blood temperature milk (warm, not hot)

                  1 teaspoon vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)

                  2 eggs

                  6 tablespoons oil (I used corn oil)

Method:

                For ease, I made this in an electric mixer with dough hooks, but you could do it by hand.

                Pre-heat your oven.

                Oil a 1kg/2lb tin.

                Beat the eggs, milk and vinegar together, turn the machine off.



                Add the flour, then on top of the flour, add the yeast at one side, the salt to another side and the sugar a bit further round and turn the machine back on.



                Whilst still mixing, add the oil.



                Place dough into the oiled tin.  The dough is a sticky dough, much 'runnier' than I was expecting, but don't add more flour, it is supposed to be like this.



                Place your tin somewhere warm for about an hour.  I put mine on top of the radiator and it was there for about 2 hours as I was too busy to get it into the oven before then, and it did rise more in that extra hour.



               Cook for 35-40 minutes (The recipe says 40-45, but as you can see, mine came out a bit too well done.)



               Turn out, and enjoy, it is really yummy, a proper, crusty loaf, which R loved and it only took a few minutes to make the mixture, it didn't require any of the kneading required for 'ordinary' bread, and I will definitely be making this on a regular basis, although I did find it slightly too sweet and so may try the next one with slightly less sugar.

Lupin Girl x


No comments:

Post a Comment