Sunday 24 May 2015

Lactose Free Tiramisu

Tiramisu is one of my all time favourite deserts, I started making it myself when I became allergic to soya.  When I became gluten intolerant I thought I would have to give this pudding a miss.  Then I found an internet company called FreeGo which sell gluten free sponge fingers and I bought some.  This was ages ago, and I've just not got around to making it.

When B turned 13 I asked what she wanted for a birthday cake.  She said tiramisu (she's got my tastes)  The only thing being that B is lactose intolerant, so I was a bit stumped about how to make this.  We knew that you could get lactofree cream cheese so I had a google about and found a Nigella recipe which looked a bit more child friendly than her Baileys recipe, which is my favourite one!  I thought this one looked good as it felt like more of a mocha recipe and as I wasn't sure if any of her friends, who were coming over for a sleepover, were big coffee lovers I thought the chocolate would make it more appealing.

Ingredients:

                  Gluten Free sponge fingers (30 ideally)

                  250ml lactofree cream cheese

                  200ml lactofree cream

                  1 cup sugar

                 150ml lactofree milk

                 1 table spoon coffee powder

                 1 table spoon cocoa powder

Method:

            Whip up the lactofree cream with 1/2 cup of sugar until firm.

            Whip the lactofree cream cheese with 1/2 cup of sugar.

            Combine the two.

            Now you need to make the syrup to dip the sponge fingers in.

           Mix your lactofree milk with the coffee and cocoa powders, I think warming the milk would help the fingers absorb the syrup better.

           Line a dish with the dipped sponge fingers.

          Spoon half of the cream mixture over the top.

          Repeat.

         You can sprinkle cocoa powder over the top to finish if you want to (I didn't this time.)

I set about making it, and Nigella's recipe is easy to follow, however, when I opened up the gluten free sponge fingers there were only 12!  So when it came to building the pudding it looked a bit poor, and I was a bit embarrassed about bringing it out in front of all of B's friends, so I thought I'd whip up a Victoria sponge from Davina's book to go with it and for the friends that didn't fancy the tiramisu. 



It was the best Victoria sponge I have ever made!



The tiramisu, although looked a bit of a poor effort, tasted amazing and I have had requests to make it again, although I still prefer the Baileys recipe.

I'm off for another coffee, the sleepover didn't involve much sleeping, and a slice of the Victoria sponge!

Lupin Girl x

I have linked this post to Free From Fridays
http://www.freefromfarmhouse.co.uk/recipes/free-from-fridays/free-fridays-21st-may-2015/

4 comments:

  1. Ohh this sounds very tasty!!

    Helen - #mummymonday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. +HelenGandy Thank you for your comment, it was indeed very tasty
      Lupin Girl x

      Delete
  2. Oh my... I need this cake just to appear. No energy for making it lol. Fab recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. +KellieKearney lol thank you x
      Lupin Girl x

      Delete