Saturday 20 May 2017

An update and Vitamin D

I have realised that I haven't updated you on how things are with me recently, so here is a very quick update on my migraines

After a couple of nasty migraine attacks I went back to my Dr's to see if I could get some different medication to try.  She was a bit concerned as one of the new symptoms was facial numbness on one side.  So she referred me urgently to a Neurologist.

I got seen within 2 weeks, and although he agreed that I did have some facial differences on one side of my face - a different level of feeling was the main one, he pronounced the rest of my medical exam as 'unremarkable'! 

I had him stumped on the numbness though, so he said he would send me for an MRI scan and some blood tests, which I had taken there and then, and he put me onto Gababentin along with the Pizotifen I was already taking.  The dose for the Gababentin was increased slowly, so for the first week I was taking 1 tablet 3 times a day, the second week 2 tablets 3 times a day, and after that 3 tablets, 3 times a day (which on my next repeat they put into one higher dose tablet so I only have to take 1 tablet, 3 times a day again)

My appointment for the MRI came through quickly and so I had to dash to the tattoo and piercing shop to get my daith piercings changed over to plastic holders.  The MRI scan itself was fine, I have had one before, about 5 or 6 years ago.  The results came through showing nothing sinister going on - which was a huge relief.

I had assumed that my blood test results were all normal as I hadn't heard anything, then I received a letter at the beginning of May telling me everything was ok, except my Vitamin D levels which were 18.9 (I have no idea what the normal range is though!)  The letter said that he was leaving it up to my GP to decide what to do about it, so I waited.  After about 10 days, when I still had heard nothing from my GP, I phoned them, and they hadn't received the letter, so I had to take it to them so that they could photocopy it. 

My GP rang me yesterday and I have to take Vitamin D3 for the next 3 months and then get a repeat blood test taken.  I have also been advised to try and get some sun exposure - although not too much, whenever possible.



 
 
The numbness in my face is a lot better than it was now, although, especially when I'm tired it still feels odd along my left cheek bone, but most of the time I don't notice it any more.
 
I will update on whether I notice an affect of taking the Vitamin D and on my repeat blood test when I have them. 
 
The sun is out as I write this, so hopefully I can get outside for a bit as well today.
 
Love
Lupin Girl x



No comments:

Post a Comment