Thursday 18 June 2015

A Busy Day

This should have been my Wordless Wednesday post, but for some reason it didn't publish. 

I had a busier day than usual as I had volunteered to help at L's school for their World WR II day which meant I was all day. L & R helped out in the morning by unloading the dishwasher and helping with their lunches so that I could get dinner in the slow cooker. 



One pot chilli. 

L was very excited about dressing up as an evacuee.
 
Her year all went to school dressed as evacuee's with gas mask boxes.  They had to line up and be 'picked' at the station, just like the real evacuee's would have been, then in their groups they got to experience several different activities. 
 
They got to make do and mend (the children made bunting for the VE Day celebration), make jam and spam sandwiches and had to be mindful of how much butter they used as it was rationed. They made rock buns using lard and apple sauce instead of butter and eggs, made jelly and iced a biscuit for the street party.  They wrote a letter home to their parents telling them of their experiences and they learnt some songs and a dance and went in an Anderson shelter and had to hide under the tables when the air raid siren went off. 
 
Then they went outside for a street party, they listened to the radio broadcast from Sir Winston Churchill announcing the victory in Europe and then celebrated with the sandwiches, rock cakes, jelly and decorated biscuits, and their was singing and dancing.

L loved every minute and discovered that she likes spam, I have been asked to buy some! 

I had a great time helping out as well but was glad I'd been prepared in the morning as it meant I didn't have to cook when we got home!



L's World War II Day outfit

Lupin Girl x 



2 comments:

  1. I don't think we've had one of these days yet but they sound so much fun for the kids to do. I think you were wise to be organised about tea so good to know it's all waiting fir you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. +HannahBrooker The children really enjoyed themselves and it was really nice to walk in to the smell of dinner and know I could just flop!

      Delete