Thursday 9 April 2015

Kitchen Failure Turned Into a Success

After we had spent the day at Sywell, and poor C had his migraine we came home and I was supposed to be making homemade wraps to have with our chicken pieces.  After a relaxing cup of tea I went to the kitchen to start making dinner, it didn't go quite according to plan!

I had success making gluten free wraps a while back

http://lupingirl.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/homemade-gluten-free-soya-free-dairy.html

However, I had heard of a recipe which was more like pancakes in the way in which you cooked them, and having to make both gluten free and normal wraps this time, I thought it would be quicker.

The recipe was for a cup of flour and enough water to make your batter the consistency of pancake batter.

I had some success with the gluten free wraps, they were a bit on the small side, and looked a bit pale, but they were wraps.

Disaster struck when I did the same with the normal wraps.  They just immediately glued themselves to my non-stick pans, even with oil in, after two failed attempts I gave up and decided to cook some pasta to go with our chicken!

I made sugar free lemon and herb chicken in sweet and sour sauce with pasta:

Ingredients:

                  Chicken fillets (you need one between 2-3 depending upon appetite)

                  Juice from 1 lemon

                  A sprinkle of dried herbs

                 Pasta

                 Half a tub of passata

                 50ml white wine vinegar

                 3 table spoons of maple syrup (or to taste)

Method:

             Cut up the chicken into bite sized pieces and fry in a pan.

            When the chicken is almost cooked, squeeze the lemon juice over the chicken and sprinkle over the dried herbs.

            Slowly cook off the lemon juice.

           Make sure you remember to cook your pasta.

          To make the sweet and sour sauce, pour about 250ml of passata into a jug, add the white wine or cider vinegar into it and add the maple syrup, stir and heat for 2 mins on full power in your microwave, you can add a bit of corn flour if you need to, to make it thicker.

I hope you enjoy this meal as much as we did, in the end!  My children proclaimed it the best chicken they had ever eaten!  Although I doubt this, it certainly was a fantastic flavourful chicken, juicy, moist and tender with a bite to it which the smokiness of the sweet and sour sauce made with the maple syrup in complemented really well, I think the lemon and herb chicken would be lovely in a salad in the summer, in the garden with a nice glass of wine too.

I'm so sorry that I didn't take any pictures, with the disaster of the wraps, time was pressed to get an edible meal onto the table and I completely forgot!

Lupin Girl x



No comments:

Post a Comment