Wednesday 18 February 2015

Gluten Free, Soy Free Sweet and Sour for Chinese New Year

As tomorrow is Chinese New Year (Year of the Goat/Sheep.)  I though I would find some gluten and soy free recipes.  I love Chinese food, and since becoming allergic to soy I've not been able to order a take-away or go to a Chinese restaurant, so I use a family recipe for sweet and sour sauce, I don't usually do much measuring out (you might have guessed by now that I tend to do a lot of my recipes by eye and taste lol) but here is a rough guide:

Ingredients:

                  1 cup of ketchup

                  1/4 cup of pineapple juice (I use tinned)

                  1/4 cup of vinegar (I used to use malt, but now use red/white wine or cider depending upon which I have in the cupboard)

                  1/4-1/2 cup of caster sugar (depending upon how sweet you want it)

                  1tsp of cornflour mixed with a little water so it's not lumpy

                  Pineapple chunks (If you fancy them)

Method:
                This couldn't be simpler to make, simply throw everything into a glass jug (plastic ones tend to melt because of the sugar) and stir, taste to see if it's as sweet/sour as you like, adjust to taste with more sugar/vinegar if not.

                 Place in the microwave for 1 minute, stir, microwave for another 30 seconds, stir, repeat until as hot and thick as you like (shouldn't need more than another 30 seconds, but this will depend upon your microwaves power.)


I have seen recipes on line which include stem ginger and the juice in this however I've not tried as it's not something I ever have in the house.

I usually make this for a stir fry, but I really fancy the battered chicken balls, which were always my favourite from take-aways, and so I have been looking for a decent crispy gluten free batter, and I came across this from Free From G's blog:

http://www.freefromg.com/2013/04/gluten-free-crispy-batter-finally.html

It looks simple to make and I have the ingredients, gluten free flour, chilled water, and sea salt.  Doves Farm is my gluten free flour of preference and so I'm going to give it a go.

To go with my sweet and sour chicken we are going to try Amoy's Straight to Wok Rice Noodles as that way the whole family are eating the same thing, and hopefully they will be softer than the dried rice noodles I have used before, I will cook some rice too.



As it is Chinese New Year though, I want to make some Fortune Cookies to have, I made them once before but needed a gluten free recipe this time, and have come across this one:

http://honestcooking.com/gluten-free-fortune-cookies-recipe/

Again I have all of the ingredients in the house, as my son made gluten free corn-bread at school.  The ingredients needed are, egg, sugar, corn oil, water and cornstarch.  I will find some funny printouts to put inside of the cookies to make them more authentic.

I have a lot of new things to try here, and so will update, with pictures after I've made them, but wanted to put this up in case you are looking for ideas for tomorrow.

Lupin Girl x




No comments:

Post a Comment